If you do not have a WordPress.com account, go to that site and set one up. Here are some things to look out for:
1. Know ahead of time what you want the URL, or website address, to say.
2. Your address will look like this: http://www.__________________.wordpress.com
3. Figure out some words that will be similar to what you are sharing. Do your best to make it as short as possible so that the URL will not be too long.
4. When you go to the WordPress.com page, you will be asked to start a blog right away. If the address you selected is not available, keep trying until you find something that works.
5. Important! At some future date, you can transfer your blog URL to something like http://www.thisismyblog.com You don’t have to have the “wordpress” part in there forever–but for now, I advise just keep it simple.
6. After you have found a blog address that works, you will be asked to decide if you want the free site or sites that cost. Go ahead and get the free for now–you can always upgrade later.
7. Tricky! It isn’t super clear, but you will need to go to your email account where you should have an email from WordPress.com which asks you to validate your address. You can start a post without this step being taken–but you can’t publish it.
Okay, if you have gotten this far, you are well on your way! I hope you will let me know if this was effective communication. For Step 2: check list for setting up, go here.