Don’t sweat the small stuff! This is a very rough draft of my guidelines for quick de-cluttering for emergencies like feeling completely overwhelmed or company coming over. By de-cluttering this way you won’t be completely disorganized but will be taking a step to getting to a place where your space is clear permanently.
- When you are organizing a job, big or small–put the small miscellaneous stuff in shallow boxes to sort.
- Larger miscellaneous can go in larger boxes.
- Stack the boxes up and sort the stuff later.
- Important stuff that you need right away–put in a place where you can find quickly and put away.
- Stuff that can be easily put away because you know where it goes–feel free to put it away if you have time.
- Soft stuff like clothes can be put in plastic bags to sort later.
- Stuff that you immediately know can be given away can be put in a box and placed in car.
- But don’t sweat the small stuff and the unimportant stuff.
- Schedule a time to sort the small and miscellaneous stuff later. Now you have a de-cluttered house, a clearer mind, and instant gratification.
Oh, and if you put on some music or listen to a book on tape or a TED production or something else you enjoy–time will go much faster and you will be motivated to keep moving. This method does not require a lot of thought so you can listen to informative and enriching talks if you like.